The position offered is for full time employment for the duration of the ERA Chair FRISSBE project (until December 2026) with the intention of offering prolongation in case of mutual agreement. The expected employment date is in January 2022.
Two (2) Senior Researchers will be hired. The best qualified candidates will be selected.
The Senior Researcher will be expected to conduct experimental, theoretical and/or numerical research in any area of fire safety. Particular emphasis will be given to areas that could have a positive impact in the evolution of fire safety engineering for Slovenia. These areas could include, but are not limited, to material flammability, performance of building systems, fire protection systems and the holistic assessment of infrastructure fire safety.
Some relevant areas of research are:
- numerical methods in fire (multiscale modelling, combustion process modelling, coupled thermal stress analysis),
- hybrid and advanced experimental methods in fire (numerical/experimental coupling, methods for toxicity and ecotoxicity, façade fire),
- emissions, toxicity and ecotoxicity in fire (linking bench-top methods to real scale fires, identifying composition of combustion effluents, biomass burning),
- fire research and structures (timber, geopolymers and composite structural elements in fire, pyrophoric carbonization of structural elements),
- fire research on materials (biobased composites, advanced thermal insulations, geopolymers).
The new unit will have access to brand new research equipment for fire testing purchased through a combination of EU structural, national and own funds. The new lab will be operational in the first quarter of 2022. This equipment consists of furnaces for testing of fire resistance of various planar and 3D large samples as well as a test rig for façade testing, open calorimeter, room corner test and full range of reaction to fire testing equipment, including equipment for chemical analysis of fire effluents. FRISSBE unit will have access also to other state-of-the art research facilities at ZAG, a list is available here.
The FRISSBE team will have allocated funds for meeting attendance and travelling.
The work place is Logatec, a small town about 35 kilometres southwest of Slovenia’s capital, Ljubljana. ZAG will have two units in Logatec, both placed in the new laboratory and office building.