Looking for a new team member to work on the NextVIS project.
PhD/Postdoc Modelling Smoke and Visibility in Compartment Fires – Doktorand/Postdoc (m/w/d) Rauch- und Sichtweitenmodellierung bei Raumbränden
The official announcement (german / english) is provided here: Recruitment System BUW. In the following, an unofficial summary of the english version of the Job-ID 21396 is given.
This position is to be filled as soon as possible for 3 years with 75 % (PhD) or 100% (Post Doc) of the tariff working hours (part-time is possible, please state when applying whether you would also be interested in a part-time job).
We are an interdisciplinary and international team and are looking for support for our research work in the field of computer-aided modelling in civil engineering, in particular fire dynamics.
In the event of a fire, smoke is the greatest danger to people. By reducing visibility through soot particles and the toxic effect of individual gas components, smoke plays a central role during the egress. In collaboration with Prof. Węgrzyński (ITB, Warsaw, Poland), the influence of soot particles on visibility is being investigated by means of experimental and numerical research in the DFG project NextVIS. Our focus in this project is the design and development of a simulation model that describes the interaction of light with soot particles. Here, the dynamics of the particle concentration, as well as their optical properties, have to be taken into account. The implementation of the software is carried out as an open-source project and could also be ported to GPUs. Small- and large-scale experiments carried out by our Polish project partner will be used for the validation of the model. The overall goal of the model development is the practical application for determining the visibility of escape route signs during dynamic smoke propagation.
Professional and personal requirements:
- Completed university studies (Master’s degree or comparable) in engineering or physics, desirably with a finished doctorate
- Expertise in the conception and implementation of scientific simulation models, experience in the field of optics
- Experience in programming in Python or C++
- Willingness to work in an interdisciplinary and international team
- Strong interest in complex issues and basic research
- Good social and communication skills
- Very good knowledge of the English language
Responsibilities and duties:
- Development and application of computer models in fire dynamics
- Evaluation of experimental data for model validation
- Cooperation in national and international collaborations
- Presentation of results at meetings and conferences
- Preparation of interim and final reports
- Embedding of research activities in an interdisciplinary and international research environment
- Opportunities for flexible working hours, support with childcare and suitable solutions for your individual life situation
- Training in the acquisition, processing and management of research projects, integration into personnel management and university teaching
Applications including all relevant credentials (motivation letter, CV, proof of successful graduation, job references) should be addressed to Prof. Dr. Lukas Arnold and solely submitted via the online portal of the University of Wuppertal. Kindly note, that incomplete applications will not be considered.
Application deadline: 23.03.2022