About the Conference
The International Association for Fire Safety Science (IAFSS) is delighted to announce that the 13th International Symposium on Fire Safety Science will be held from April 27 to May 1, 2020 at the University of Waterloo, Canada.
The IAFSS Symposium, organized triennially since 1985, is the premier fire safety science meeting attracting researchers, students and fire protection engineers from across the globe. The five-day symposium will feature invited lectures from world-leading re researchers, parallel presentations of peer-reviewed papers, and poster sessions for recent work. Symposium activities will be preceded by a series of weekend workshops. In addition to the technical sessions, numerous social activities are planned to provide informal meeting and networking opportunities for colleagues and friends.
Download the full paper template for the 13th International Symposium on Fire Safety Science in your preferred format below.
Please note, the manuscripts must be in .PDF format for submission to the conference.
Paper Submission and Review
- Go to the EasyChair link above and log in or create an account
- This should take you directly to the submission page
- If you are not directed to the submission page, then copy and paste the following link directly into your browser search bar: https://easychair.org/my/conference?conf=iafss2020
- Select “enter as an author”
The paper(s) must be in .PDF format for submission.
Manuscripts up to 16 pages in length should be submitted through the EasyChair submission link above by September 6, 2019. All papers must be original work and must not have been submitted to another forum. A detailed paper style guide and template will be available online by May 2019.
Submitted papers will be subject to at least three independent peer reviews. Papers will be accepted on the basis of their quality and originality. Accepted papers will be published in a special issue of Fire Safety Journal, the official IAFSS journal, conditional upon the successful completion of an additional review step and presentation at the Symposium.
A Call for Posters will be issued in late 2019. Posters may describe work-in-progress or completed projects. Poster abstracts will be reviewed by the Program Committee.
- September 6, 2019 Submission deadline for full papers
- November 13, 2019 Authors notified of preliminary accept/reject decision
- December 13, 2019 Deadline for revised papers
- December 23, 2019 Authors notified of final accept/reject decision
Posters and Images
- January 30, 2020 Submission deadline for poster abstracts and images
- February 10, 2020 Authors notified of accept/reject decision for poster abstracts
- February 17, 2020 Authors notified of accept/reject decision for images
Research of Interest
Submissions are encouraged on, but not limited to, the following topics:
- Material Behavior in Fires (ignition, pyrolysis, flame spread, and smouldering)
- Fire Dynamics (pool fires, fire plumes, compartment fires, and tunnel fires)
- Fire Chemistry (chemical kinetics, material toxicity, and flame retardants)
- Structures in Fire
- Fire Suppression
- Wildland and WUI Fires
- Evacuation and Human Behavior
- Fire Risk Analysis and Fire Safety Design
- Other Topics (fire detection and smoke control, explosions and industrial fires, fire codes and standards, and fire safety management)