Research of Interest
The International Association for Fire Safety Science (IAFSS) sponsors the world’s premier symposium for the dissemination and discussion of peer reviewed scientific research focused on the prevention and mitigation of fire losses. As part of the program of the 13th IAFSS Symposium to be held on April 27 – May 1, 2020 at the University of Waterloo, Canada (https://uwaterloo.ca/international-symposium-on-fire-safety-science/), you are invited to submit a poster that advances the basic understanding and presents or advances new ideas on any topic in the entire spectrum of fire safety science.
Posters will be presented during one or two dedicated sessions to allow authors to exhibit and discuss recently completed work or work in progress, including new and relatively underdeveloped concepts. Students are especially encouraged to submit posters for presentation. The poster session(s) is (are) designed to foster a collegial environment where authors and attendees can discuss their research interests and make or renew relationships to help foster collaboration.
Poster abstracts will be accepted on the basis of their quality and originality in the science of fire safety and its applications. Instructions on submitting poster abstracts can be found here. The material presented in Poster Sessions will not be published in the Proceedings of the 13th IAFSS Symposium. The abstracts of the posters will be posted online by March 23, 2020.
- Posters: Must be original work.
- Abstracts: Are limited to 1 page maximum.
- Style: All posters and poster abstracts must be in English and use SI units.
- Display Presentation: Presentation of posters will be made during 1 or 2 dedicated sessions held at the Symposium. Authors will be offered a display board of size 1.2 m × 1.5 m. Authors are expected to be in attendance at their poster during the session.
Poster Review Process
- Poster abstracts will be reviewed by the Program Committee.
- Authors will be notified of the Program Committee’s decision by February 10, 2020.
- Notification may include reviewers’ comments.
Submission of Poster Abstracts for Presentation at the 13th IAFSS Symposium
The submission of Poster Abstracts begins December 20, 2019. The abstracts (one page) must be submitted electronically as a PDF-formatted file through the EasyChair website for the IAFSS Symposium https://easychair.org/my/conference?conf=iafss2020. A Word template for abstracts is available here: Poster Template
Go to: https://easychair.org/my/conference?conf=iafss2020. If this is your first access to the EasyChair website, create a new account by clicking “create an account”. If you already have an account (for instance an account that you may have used in past conferences), your name and email address have already been registered with EasyChair. Provide your username and password to login. If you do not know or forgot your login username and password, click “click here” next to “Forgot your password?” and then provide your email address.
Note that you may have multiple roles such as “Track chair”, “Author” or “Subreviewer”. Click “Author” to login as an author. Your role in the Easychair system is shown on the upper left corner of the webpage. You can always change your role by selecting “IAFSS2020” on the top horizontal menu and by clicking “Change role” on the drop-down menu
Select “New Submission” on the top horizontal menu. Select the track relevant to the main topic of your submission. Complete the submission page:
- If asked to choose between different tracks, select the Posters Track
• Check the Terms and Conditions box
• Enter the author(s) information
• Enter the title of the abstract
• Enter keywords (in separate lines)
• Upload the abstract (in PDF format)
• Click on the submit button at the bottom of the page
You should receive a confirmation email from [email protected]. Contact the Poster and Images Co-Chairs if you do not or if you have any question: Jason Floyd ([email protected]) and Tuula Hakkarainen ([email protected]).
Submission deadline for posters is January 30, 2020. Posters submitted after this date will not be considered.
Poster Key dates
- December 20, 2019 – Beginning of submission of Poster Abstracts
- January 30, 2020 – Submission deadline for Poster Abstracts
- February 10, 2020 – Notification of acceptance/rejection of Poster Abstracts
- March 10, 2020 – Submission deadline for full posters on Easychair
- March 23, 2020 – Poster Abstracts posted online
Fire Science Image
Building on previous successes in recent symposia, the program of the 13th IAFSS Symposium will also include a Fire Science Image competition and you are invited to submit an image that may correspond to experimental studies, numerical studies or actual events. Images should be non-commercial. Images will be displayed on a designated display board. Images should be between A5 (148 mm x 210 mm) and A4 (210 mm x 297 mm) in size.
Images Review Process
- Images will be reviewed by the Poster and Images Program Committee.
- Submitters will be notified of the Poster and Images Program Committee’s decision by February 17, 2020.
Submitting Your Image
Images can be submitted through the EasyChair website for the IAFSS Symposium https://easychair.org/my/conference?conf=iafss2020, similar to poster abstracts (see instructions above).
- Images and captions should be submitted electronically beginning December 20, 2019. The image format should be jpg, png, or bmp. The maximum image size for review is 1 Mbyte.
- Submission deadline for images is January 30, 2020. Images submitted after this date will not be considered.
Image Key dates
- December 20, 2019 – Beginning of submission of Images
- January 30, 2020 – Submission deadline for Images
- February 17, 2020 – Notification of acceptance/rejection of Images
Fire Image Competition Requirements
- Images: Must be original work.
- Style: Images may correspond to experimental studies, numerical studies or actual events.
- Caption: A brief figure caption describing the image is expected to accompany the images. Captions are limited to 100 words. The submitter should include name and affiliation with the caption, but this information is not included in the word count.
- Display Presentation: Submitters will be offered a display space, 60 cm wide and 60 cm high, for their image, caption, name and affiliation. The maximum image size is A4 (297 mm x 210 mm). Submitters are not required to be in attendance at their image during the session.
Posters and images presented at the 13th IAFSS Symposium will be considered for the following Awards:
- Best Poster Award – Awarded to the best poster based on technical content, organization, and visual presentation. The selection will be made by the poster awards committee.
- Best Student Poster Award – Awarded to the best poster by a student author based on technical content, organization, and visual presentation. The selection will be made by the poster awards committee.
- Delegate’s Choice Poster Award – Awarded to the best poster based on technical content, organization, and visual presentation. The selection will be made by the Symposium Delegates.
- Graphic Image Award – Awarded to the best fire image based on originality, scientific significance, and artistic/aesthetic appeal. The selection will be made by the Symposium Delegates.
If you would like more information on either the Poster or Fire Science Image events at the 13th IAFSS Symposium, please contact Dr. Jason Floyd (Email: [email protected]) or Dr. Tuula Hakkarainen (Email: [email protected]).