This exciting opportunity as a Level B Lecturer will see the incumbent teaching into the undergraduate and postgraduate engineering coursework programs, providing supervision to Higher Degree by Research (HDR) students, and contributing to the further development of programs within the School. In addition, the role is expected to undertake research in the area of fire safety engineering and collaborate in research with other groups within the School, wider university and industry.
- Academic Level B
- Full-time, Fixed-term position from 03/01/2023 to 01/01/2026
- Close Date: 5 October 2022 at 11:00pm AEST (R-15738)
- Contribute to the development of new programs and course material in fire engineering, by consulting with program advisors and stakeholders, ensuring courses are engaging, relevant and contemporary.
- Teach across different settings and actively contribute towards educational practice and innovative curriculum design including online learning and alternative teaching methods. It is expected this role would be capable of teaching into other core civil engineering courses (e.g., structural engineering).
- Coordinate courses, prepare and deliver lectures and tutorials, and undertake assessment and marking for undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
- Maintain and improve the quality of courses as measured through evaluation instruments to meet industry and educational standards.
- Provide high quality service to students, including academic counselling and advice.
- Understand and apply University Rules relevant to teaching and learning practice.
- Develop an independent and/or team research program to achieve national recognition and impact in the research area.
- Work with colleagues and postgraduates in the development and conduct of joint research projects and applications for competitive research funding support.
- Contribute as chief investigator role (often in conjunction with more experienced researchers) in applications for external research funding, which includes actively seeking, obtaining and managing research funding.
- Maintain an active and effective record of publishing in high quality national research journals, other appropriate refereed publications and conference publications.
- Review and draw upon best practice research methodologies.
- Prepare research publications and progress reports and participate in regular meetings to discuss project objectives, methodology and outcomes.
3. Supervision and Researcher Development
- Contribute to the supervision of Honours and Higher Degree by Research students.
- Recruitment, selection and onboarding of appropriately qualified employees in accordance with University policy and procedures.
- Manage employee performance and conduct by providing coaching, feedback and training through probation, annual performance appraisal and regular meetings with employees.
- Work to promptly resolve conflict and grievances when they arise in accordance with University policy and procedures.
- Ensure employees remuneration and benefits are correct and liaise with Human Resources when a change occurs.
4. Citizenship and Service
- Actively develop partnerships by fostering relationships with colleagues, industry, government departments, professional bodies and the wider community.
- Show leadership of self and others through mentoring and collaboration.
- Efficiently manage allocated internal service roles and processes, including participation in decision-making and service on relevant committees.
- Effectively perform a range of administrative functions as required.
- Provide support to other academic positions as needed and during absences.
- Consistently demonstrate the UQ values.
Ensure you are aware of and comply with legislation and University policy relevant to the duties undertaken, including but not exclusive to:
This role is subject to The University’s Code of Conduct.
About the School of Civil Engineering
The School of Civil Engineering is one of the largest schools of its kind in Australia. Primarily located in the state- Advanced Engineering Building, the School passionately delivers world-leading teaching, research, and service. We aspire to be the Civil Engineering school of choice for students, staff, industry, and the wider community in the fields of environmental, fire safety, geotechnical, structural, transportation and water engineering.
Our goal is to foster graduates with the technical and professional skills required to lead the civil engineering profession and we aim to re-engineer civil and infrastructure research to improve the way communities operate and function.
Our over 40 academic staff hail from over 24 countries, are widely published and cited, and have extensive research backgrounds in diverse engineering disciplines including coastal, environmental, fire safety, geotechnical, hydraulics, structural, transport, and water resources. These research strengths attract expert academics and students from around the world and provide industry with consulting expertise, research collaboration and testing facilities.
The School recognises and values equity and diversity, and encourages applications from any individual who meets the requirements of this position irrespective of gender, sexuality, race, ethnicity, religion, disability, age or other protected attributes. The School strives to provide an inclusive working environment, and along with the University is committed to supporting staff with family and caring responsibilities by providing policies, programs and initiatives to help balance work and family responsibilities. The School has an agreed set of values that include:
1. Respecting each other.
2. Embracing equity and diversity.
3. Making decisions transparently whenever possible.
4. Collaborating across disciplines and universities.
5. Supporting each other.
6. Being accountable and responsible.
7. Seeking first to understand then be understood.
8. Making positive and meaningful societal contributions.
9. Celebrating achievement.
For more information about the School, please visit: www.civil.uq.edu.au
Information about life at UQ including staff benefits, relocation and UQ campuses is available at – http://www.uq.edu.au/current-staff/working-at-uq
Applicants should possess a PhD the area of Fire Safety Engineering, Structural Engineering, Civil Engineering, or an equivalent discipline. Research interests in fire may include, structural fire safety, fire dynamics, wildland fires, transport fire safety, material engineering, and other areas of fire safety engineering and science. Additionally, you will demonstrate:
- Demonstrated expert knowledge in a relevant discipline and ability to develop innovative research programs in the field of Fire Safety Engineering
- A growing profile in teaching and research in the discipline area.
- A developing reputation and track record of publications in reputed refereed journals and presenting at conferences.
- Evidence of successfully seeking, obtaining and managing external research funding.
- Evidence of a high level of quality teaching at undergraduate, honours and postgraduate level across a variety of settings, including small and large groups.
- Experience in course coordination and contribution to the development and continuous innovation of new programs, curriculum design and course material in the discipline area.
- A growing record of supervision of Honours and Research Higher Degree students to successful completion.
- Experience in meaningful internal service roles in conjunction with active contributions to external activities.
What We Can Offer
This is a full-time (100%) FTE Fixed-term position for 3 years from 03/01/2023 through to 01/01/2026 at Academic Level B.
The full-time equivalent base salary will be in the range $101,533 to $120,570 plus super of up to 17%. The total FTE package will be in the range $118,794 to $141067 per annum.
For further information about UQ’s benefits, please visit Why Work at UQ and review The University of Queensland’s Enterprise Bargaining Agreement 2018-2021.
To discuss this role please contact Professor Tom Baldock +61 7 3365 53667 or [email protected]
For application queries, please contact [email protected] stating the job reference number in the subject line.
Want to Apply?
All applicants must supply the following documents:
- Cover letter addressing Selection Criteria
To satisfy pre-requisite questions and ensure your application can be considered in full, all candidates must apply via the UQ Careers portal by the job closing deadline. Applications received via other channels, including direct email, will not be accepted.
About The Selection Process
As part of the Selection Process, applicants shortlisted for interview may be required to present a seminar and mock lecture to members of the school community prior to their scheduled interview. Research seminars and lecture topics will be provided with adequate notice to shortlisted candidates.
The University of Queensland is committed to ensuring all candidates are provided with the opportunity to attend the panel interviews, however, for those candidates who are unable to attend in person, video interview options will be available.
To satisfy pre-requisite questions and ensure your application can be considered in full, all candidates must apply via the UQ Careers portal by the job closing deadline or will not be accepted.
Qualification Verification: An appointment to this position is subject to the verification of the highest academic qualification from the conferring institution.
Sponsorship: Visa sponsorship may be available for this appointment.
Background Checks: All final applicants for this position may be asked to consent to a criminal record check. Please note that people with criminal records are not automatically barred from applying for this position. Each application will be considered on its merits.
We value diversity and inclusion, and actively encourage applications from those who bring diversity to the University. Our Diversity and Inclusion webpage contains further information if you require additional support. Accessibility requirements and/or adjustments can be directed to [email protected].
If you are a current employee of the University, or hold an unpaid or affiliate appointment with the University, please login to your staff Workday account and visit the internal careers board to apply for this opportunity. Please do NOT apply via the external job board